Tuesday, March 27, 2018

NetGalley

When I was young and got in trouble, my mom would make me stay in my room for the day. It was my favorite punishment because it meant I could stay in my jammies all day and read. I've always been a reader. From the pages of a book, I could explore the world, learn random stuff and escape the confines of my mundane existence. Those are still the reasons I read although at this time in my life, escapism and entertainment are a huge component of my reading choices.

Several years ago, my dear husband gave me a Kindle as a gift. He'd seen me reading on my iPod and decided I really needed one. He was so excited that he gave me my Christmas gift in November because he couldn't wait to see my reaction. The Kindle was a thoughtful gift but I had told him never to buy me one because I would get lost in words and never surface. That pretty much happened and it has been a battle for several years to step out of imaginary worlds.

I'm now on Kindle #3 and working to overcome my addiction.

At first I would buy free books on the Kindle. Over the years I've found a few gems and discovered great new authors and their works. But mostly, I've read poorly written, self published trash. It was easy. It was mindless. And at a very busy time of my life, I didn't care if I couldn't read or I was interrupted because I wasn't really engaged in the story.

Then, I registered for BookBub because I figured it would direct me to better quality books at a discount price. Nope. It seemed the suggestions made for me were more of the same and I continued to find less than elevating choices. Keep in mind I do work in a library. I can bring home any book I want, whenever I want. I can even buy books I want to read and put them on hold for myself. But the lure of the back light is strong -- it lets me read in bed, in the dark, under the covers.

Two things have happened to change my pattern.

Last year I signed up for NetGalley in an effort to encourage myself to look for better things to read. NetGalley is a professional reader service. They provide ARCs (or advanced reading copy) from publishers to folks who read for a living. Bloggers, book sellers, reviewers and librarians. Yeah, me. A librarian. I read a few items but I'm not much of a writer or reviewer. And I was super busy so writing a review was stressful and I mothballed my account.

This year, one of the librarians retired and I was given her collection development assignment. For years I bought for the non fiction collection. I enjoyed it quite a bit but my heart belongs to fiction. But the retirement opened up a spot. In Romance. I'm jokingly called the Trashy Romance Novel Queen of the Orem Public Library so this is a good fit. The fantasy aspect of Romance has always appealed to me. Romance is the ultimate escapist read and I am having a great time buying books across the depth and breadth of the romance genre.

Which has brought me back to NetGalley. In my quest to buy something for everyone, I feel I need to try a lot of new authors and sample new books so I can decide it if it right for my collection. I am now reading many ARCs. Mostly romance titles but also paranormal and fantasy and any other thing that may catch my eye. If I can enjoy it and recommend it, then I'll read it.

So, this blog serves many purposes.


  • I can post my NetGalley reviews here.
  • I can be honest with myself about what I am reading and hopefully avoid the items that are less than worthwhile. (Sort of like logging your food. If you have to admit you ate it, you'll think twice about it.)
  • As a member of CLAU-- the Children's Literature Association of Utah, I sit on the YA committee that helps to choose YA books for the contest. This blog will also provide a place to review those books as well. Hopefully reviewing will help me to do a more thorough job of reading these books.
  • And, I can try --at age 52-- to develop new skills. Thinking, writing, creativity. Because that is good for your brain.


So. Thank you NetGalley. Thanks for the many ARCs!

Next time: My review for EXO by Fonda Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching up with lots and lots of book reviews

When I started this blog, my goal was to write something about my reading experiences at least once a month. I did really well at first. The...